Sea Lane, Worthing, West Sussex, BN12 5DU

01903 243945

Ferring Church of England Primary School

An Inspiring Place to Grow, Believe and Achieve

Reception Class of 2022

Welcome to Ferring Church of England Primary School!

We are extremely excited to meet our new 2022 Reception Class -watch this space for more information just for you!



What is the Early Years like at Ferring?

Our Early Years team work very closely to ensure that each child gets the best possible start to their school journey. Through good communication with our families, we build on the children’s interests and help them to become happy, confident learners.

Together, we GROW, BELIEVE and ACHIEVE

At Ferring, our topics are planned with the interests of the children in mind. We begin every new topic by asking the class what they wish to find out about. This allows us to design bespoke learning opportunities for all and ensure that all children are engaged within their learning. Our lessons are enriched in a variety of ways including: WOW starts to our topics, trips and guest speakers (Covid-19 permitting) and exploring interesting resources which link directly to the learning. 

Our classroom and outdoor learning area provides a range of different environments for your child to grow, learn and play. This year, we have seen a great deal of change in our classroom, with new learning spaces created and more open space for the children. Outside, the children will find a climbing frame, sandpit, mud kitchen, grassed area and house to play in. We have timetabled PE lessons (once a week to start with) and we are very excited for all the new developments taking place on the playground and field during the Summer term!


Who will be working with our children?

We are a one-form entry school, which means we have one class in each year group. All our classes are named after countries and Italy is the name of our Reception Class. It is currently taught by our Early Years lead, Mrs Wells who works Monday to Thursday. Miss Willard is our Reception Class teacher on a Friday and Miss Glackin is our class teaching assistant and lunch time supervisor.


What happens at lunchtime? 

All children in Reception (and Y1 and Y2) are entitled to a free school meal. These are served and eaten in the main hall. However, if you would prefer, you can provide your child with a packed lunch. 

Please CLICK HERE to visit the Chartwells website. The menu will be updated soon so you will be able to see what the children will be offered each day. 

 New Starter Chartwells Information May 2021.pdfDownload
Showing 1-1 of 1

Ferring FAQs...

What does my child need for school?

All your child needs to bring into school is a PE kit, a water bottle, book bag, coat for cold/wet weather, wellies for the outside area and a good nights sleep. Please make sure all items are clearly named. We provide everything else!

Please note if your child will not be having hot school meals, they will need a lunch box and additional bottle of water/drink for lunch times.


What does my child need to wear?


  • white polo top
  • blue jumper,
  • trousers or shorts in summer
  • socks and sensible black shoes (if laced, please ensure your child can do them up)


  • white polo top
  • blue jumper/cardigan, trousers/pinafore/skirt or summer dress in warmer weather
  • socks/tights and sensible black shoes (if laced, please ensure your child can do them up)  

PE Kit - In a separate bag which remains at school for the half term

  • all children should wear a coloured PE shirt (children are sorted into colour houses prior to joining in September)
  • PE shorts (black or blue)
  • trainers/plimsoles
  • Jogging bottoms for colder weather along with a hoody/jumper would be beneficial.

 Is there anything else? 

  • Wellies to remain in school- reception class go outside in all weathers throughout the year
  • In summer, a hat to protect them from the sun
  • A water bottle every day (we are unable to provide cups due to Covid-19)
  • Book bag every day which is where we will put letters, reading books, reading journals and home learning
  • Spare clothes/pants (in case of toileting accidents)


Please ensure that all clothing is named! It takes a long time to reunite lost clothing and we know that is causes some children great distress when they realise something is missing!

A form will be sent our in the welcome pack for you to order polo tops, jumpers and cardigans with the school logo on- we understand that for some families, money is a sensitive topic. Children are welcome to wear a plain royal blue jumper and non-logo polo top. We also have a selection of pre-loved uniform (all with logos) for you to purchase at a much cheaper price. More information about this will be sent out later on in the term.


My child needs to take antibiotics/inhaler/other medication – what do I do?

If your child requires an inhaler, antibiotics, or any other medication, you can fill out a form from the school office. We have staff trained to administer medication in school for these reasons. Please ensure that you name your child’s medication clearly.  When you fill out the starting school forms there is one for administering Calpol and Piriton- again, we have trained staff who are able to administer these with parental permission.